Public and Professional Discourse (Part 4)
> return to index
by W. Gary Martin
We need creative channels to get our messages out…
The Critics' Targets
- The NCTM Standards
- Curriculum Projects
- Districts engaged in reform (textbook adoption)
- State and local standards
- Federal policy
- But NOT Principles and Standards.
- WHY NOT?
- Are the messages working?
- Or is it irrelevant?
The New Battleground
- State Standards are likely to be the key
- The new definition of “standards-based”
- Preliminary findings from SIRG
- 62% of state supervisors claimed PSSM as having a "major influence"
on the most recent revision of their state's standards
- 16% claimed "minor" or "no influence"
- Those just starting a revision unanimously named it a “major influence”
- We are well-positioned to win important battles at the state level.
- We need to make sure our voices are heard.
END | Back to Index